As Texas braces against winter storm weather this week, TXU Energy reminds customers to be as energy efficient as possible. Colder-than-normal weather can result in higher-than-normal electricity use and, as a result, higher bills.
More than half of a home’s electricity consumption comes from heating/air-conditioning and water heating, so it’s important that customers keep a closer eye on how they are consuming their energy. The best way to reduce electricity usage and minimize the impacts of this cold Texas winter is through energy efficiency and conservation efforts.
TOP TEN COLD WEATHER TIPS:
1. Fireplace open/close flue– Don’t let heat go up the chimney. Make sure the fireplace flue is closed when not in use.
2. Ceiling fans– Ceiling fans set at slow speed with the blades angled down push warm air away from ceilings.
3. Temperature settings – Set your thermostat to 70 degrees or less, and several degrees cooler overnight. Lowering the thermostat by as little as one degree typically reduces heating bills by 5-6 percent.
4. Close vents– Closing heating vents in an unoccupied room can save up to 5-10 percent on heating costs.
5. Insulation– Make sure that walls and attic are properly insulated. Adding fiberglass insulation in attic is one of the most cost-effective savings measures.
6. Computers – Turn computers and monitors off when not in use. Leaving computers on all the time can cost more than $100 per year on electricity.
7. Dishwasher– Air dry dishes instead of using dishwasher’s drying heater.
8. Hot water heaters– Wrapping water heaters with an insulated blanket can save $20 annually for a gas heater and $50 annually on an electric heater.
9. Keep doors closed– Shut the door or try to minimize number of times that doors to the outside are opened and closed. Each time doors are opened, cold air enters the house.
10. Install weather-stripping/caulking and insulation– Sealing air leaks with caulking and weather-stripping and installing adequate insulation in walls and the attic are some cost-effective measures you can take in your home to save on heating bills.
For more low-cost or no-cost tips, visitwww.txu.com/energytips.
About TXU Energy
TXU Energy is a market-leading competitive retail electricity provider, powering the lives of more Texans than any other retailer. TXU Energy offers a variety of innovative products and solutions, allowing both its residential and business customers to choose options that best meet their needs, including exceptional customer service, competitively priced electricity service plans, innovative energy efficiency options, renewable energy programs and other electricity-related products and services. Visit txu.com for more information about TXU Energy. REP #10004
Lauren Little, (972) 868-2854